Russian obituaries

Yekaterina Victorovna Jordan yvj2p at CMS.MAIL.VIRGINIA.EDU
Tue Feb 21 15:43:40 UTC 2006

Julie,

I do not wish to discourage you, but I have to tell you that it is not at
all a common practice for "everyday" people to have their obituaries placed
in newspapers.  I have never seen any in either the local papers or the
national papers.  Oftentimes a paper would have a whole section devoted to
actors and politicians, but not when it comes to the common folk.  Partly it
is due to the fact that the Russians just do not feel the need to announce
such private information about their family members, and partly because the
newspapers do not even offer such services.  An obituaty is meant to be a
mini-celebration of a person's life.  However, in the minds of many Russians
death is not only an irrevocable loss, but also a serious tragedy.

Yekaterina Jordan
University of Virginia