Russian obituaries

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Tue Feb 21 17:10:41 UTC 2006

>A morbid request: does anyone know where I might be able to access a
>fairly large pool of recent Russian obituaries?

In the olden day, I haven't checked lately, Novoe russkoe slovo used to
have lots of them. So if you have access to years of that newspaper, you'll
have plenty of material.

As far as Russia is concerned, again, in the olden days it was newspapers
that had the word "Vechernjaja" or "Vechernij" in the title that printed
obituaries on the last page, for ex. "Vechernjaja Moskva", "Vechernij
Leningrad". Why them and not others? That's a good question.

 Alina Israeli
 LFS, American University
 4400 Mass. Ave., NW
 Washington, DC 20016