Gogol Bordello

Lily Alexander lily.alexander at UTORONTO.CA
Tue Feb 21 17:09:30 UTC 2006

"Gogol Bordello" is actually a very interesting NY based rock group that
works along the lines of bakhtinian or gogolean carnivalesque, making
fun, quite wittingly, and tastefully, of the clichés of various cultures.

The diverse group integrated the musicians/artists who came from the
former SU, Ukraine in particular, the sabras (Israeli born) from Israel,
and the New York born  Americans of the Irish decent, who  have joined
forces to produce a metaparody of a high quality. The leading musician
defined his roots as the  Ukrainian cultural underground, and they are
getting very good reviews in the context of the genre they chose. I
first enjoyed the group having seen them  featured on the ABC Sunday
Breakfast with the Arts. Although they are transcultural hooligans, they
do deserve a respectable introduction by this respectable program. I
have been trying to catch them in New York live ever since, but they are
in demand and traveling all the time. I recommend.

This is a link if anyone is interested.
http://www.gogolbordello.com

As for Gogol's name in the movies, this reflects a trend when the media
producers and TV writers, when need a Russian name, do not go any
farther than familiar names form Russian literature, be it a name of a
writer or character. They don't of course realize they deal with rare or
"constructed" names, and this has been a very funny trend. The Law and
Order and similar series have had terrible murderers and other scary
barbaric looking criminals with Russian accent and the last names like
Rostov or Zhivago. There are many other example of this kind.

Lily Alexander