Gogol Bordello

Elizabeth A. Papazian papazian at WAM.UMD.EDU
Tue Feb 21 17:54:13 UTC 2006

Just another note about the use of Gogol's name:  the character named
Gogol in Jhumpa Lahiri's recent novel ("The Namesake") was actually
named for the Gogol we all know and love.  The name -- and the fact
that the eponymous hero has no idea why he was given this name -- forms
the main hinge of the plot.  Quite an interesting reference to Russian
literature in a book about the American experience.

E.Papazian

On 21 Feb 2006, at 12.09pm, Lily Alexander wrote:

> As for Gogol's name in the movies, this reflects a trend when the
> media producers and TV writers, when need a Russian name, do not go
> any farther than familiar names form Russian literature, be it a name
> of a writer or character. They don't of course realize they deal with
> rare or "constructed" names, and this has been a very funny trend. The
> Law and Order and similar series have had terrible murderers and other
> scary barbaric looking criminals with Russian accent and the last
> names like Rostov or Zhivago. There are many other example of this
> kind.
>
> Lily Alexander

Elizabeth A. Papazian
Assistant Professor of Russian