short short stories, even miniatures

Adrian Wanner ajw3 at PSU.EDU
Mon Feb 27 12:29:00 UTC 2006

Dear Mr. Shatsev,
There is no such anthology in English, as far as I know, but I
recently published an bilingual Russian-German anthology of Russian
prose poems and "mini-stories."  See Adrian Wanner, ed. and transl.,
Miniaturwelten: Russische Prosagedichte von Turgenjew bis Charms
(Zurich: Pano Verlag, 2004).  The book contains ca. 100 texts by 17
authors, including Turgenev, Garshin, Annenskii, Sologub,
Sinov'eva-Annibal, Kandinsky, Bunin, A. Dobroliubov, I. Konevskoi,
Remizov, Guro, Belyi, Blok, B. Livshits, A. Gastev, Khlebnikov and
Kharms.
Adrian Wanner

>Oh yes.Thanks a lot for your recommendations.I will find the
>recommended books.
>Probably I was not very precise. I am looking for a  short short
>stories  in translation such as Pushkin's  TABLE TALK,Tourgenev's
>POEMS IN PROSE, Chekhov's RARA AVIS( Constance Garnet did not
>translate it) and Zapisniye knizhki, Bunin's BERNAR or something
>even smaller,Tolstoi READING CIRCLE, Something from Rozanov,
>Babel's CEMETERY IN THE TOWN OF KOZIN and some other miniatures,Ily
>Ilf's  ZAPISNIYE KNIZHKI,   Soljenitsin's KROHOTKI,Shalamov's
>miniatures about Gulag,
>Dovlatov's ZAPISNIYE KNIZHKI.
>Living in Toronto now I continue to be active in teaching Russian
>literature for my Canadian friends. I think that short short stories
>might be a  productive introduction before reading Fathers ,Sons or
>War and Peace etc.
>I am interested in the texts of such type and  first of all in their
>availability in internet.
>Please give me some ideas where to get it.
>Than you in advance.
>
>Sincerely,Vladimir Shatsev
>PS By the way how it is in English - Zapisnye knizhki ?
>
>VS.

Adrian J. Wanner
Head, Department of Germanic and Slavic Languages and Literatures
Professor of Russian and Comparative Literature
The Pennsylvania State University
313 Burrowes Building
University Park, PA 16802

Tel. (814) 865-5481