"Kon-chuk" - ? Russian/Ukr. for horse whip ?

George Hawrysch zolotar at INTERLOG.COM
Mon Jul 3 02:48:03 UTC 2006

The two ojects are similar, but used differently.  A nahajka can be smaller
than a kanchuk, and is used on horses.  A kanchuk is usually heavier, and
is intended for humans: corporal punishment, police (especially mounted)
crowd control, and military discipline.  Use of the kanchuk is attested in
kozak times, in the abuse of serfs, and into the 20th century.  I have not
heard of it being applied to children, and cannot imagine such a thing.

George Hawrysch