"Kon-chuk" - ? Russian/Ukr. for horse whip ?

Robert A. Rothstein rar at SLAVIC.UMASS.EDU
Mon Jul 3 22:47:29 UTC 2006

George Hawrysch wrote:

> Use of the kanchuk is attested in
> kozak times, in the abuse of serfs, and into the 20th century.  I have
> not
> heard of it being applied to children, and cannot imagine such a thing.

       I don't know about the object itself, but some version thereof
was apparently used as an instrument of discipline in the traditional
Jewish religious school (_kheyder_) in Poland. In a song by the Krakow
folk poet Mordkhe Gebirtig (1877-1942) called "Moyshele, mayn fraynd"
the singer reminisces about the days when he and his friend Moyshele
studied together in _kheyder_:
          Ot shteyt far mir der rebe nokh,
          der kantshik in zayn hant .

          I can still see the teacher standing before me,
          The ferule in his hand.

I've translated Yiddish _kantshik_ (stressed on the first syllable) with
the rather obscure English (and French) word "ferule," which refers to
an instrument, such as a cane or stick or ruler, used to punish
schoolchildren; that seems to be the meaning of the Yiddish term, at
least in this context. The Yiddish word probably derives from Polish
_kanczug_ or _kanczuk_ (with an acute accent on the "n"), which refers
to a braided leather whip with a short wooden handle and which is
attested in Polish since the mid-17th century.

Bob Rothstein