the Russian gaze

Max Pyziur pyz at BRAMA.COM
Tue Jul 4 17:52:36 UTC 2006

On Fri, 30 Jun 2006, John Dunn wrote:

> Peter Morley may be right, or the spellings may have been copied from
> pre-existing documents.  In any event, whatever the players may think
> (and I doubt if many of them care) it is clearly not an issue for the
> Ukrainian Football Association.  There are, however, two points.  The
> first is that, as previous correspondence on this list has shown, the
> transliteration of Ukrainian names has become a sensitive issue in some

As it should be to undo Russophilic/Russophone predilections.

> quarters, and in this context the apparent indifference of the Ukrainian
> FA is in itself worthy of note.  The second is that to a Slavonic
> Philologist who is of a more than usually pedantic disposition and whose
> duties (at least until midnight tonight) include initiating students
> into the mysteries of transliteration these questions are of a passing
> interest, though I am struck less by the mixture of languages itself
> than by the variations and inconsistencies within that mixture.  Anyway
> the BBC TV commentator for tonight's game used Husev and Husin
> throughout.

The ESPN commentators for the World Cup have been pretty bad showing
categorical insensitivity to most if not all countries involved, save the
US.  I can only imagine the BBC ones to be/have been worse.

The nice thing about ESPN's coverage of Ukraine's matches was that the
highly offensive article "the" before "Ukraine" gradually disappeared to
the point of extinction in the last match against Italy, thanks probably
to consistent audience criticism.  Save, of course, that Irish bean-bag
Tommy Smyth.

It was nice to see Erik Wynalda remind his ESPN co-commentators of
Rece Davis and Julie Foudy early on in Group Play to can the "the".

> John Dunn.

Max Pyziur