the Russian gaze

Sarah Hurst sarahhurst at ALASKA.NET
Tue Jul 4 23:42:32 UTC 2006

Regarding the spelling of footballers' names, I do think that in
international sport, the players have their own preferences in
transliteration and that's the reason for it.

As for pronunciation, I think ESPN commentators just aren't making any real
effort at all. The BBC may be better because I know that they actually train
their presenters on pronunciation and they have pronunciation guides. Today
an ESPN commentator repeatedly referred to "Del Peero" while the woman
commentator they had said "Del Pi-ero", which I believe is correct.

I don't even think the ESPN commentators could recognize the German
chancellor. They never pointed her out although the camera has cut to her
repeatedly.

Sarah Hurst