the Russian gaze

Wed Jul 5 01:48:12 UTC 2006

Sarah Hurst wrote:

> Regarding the spelling of footballers' names, I do think that in
> international sport, the players have their own preferences in
> transliteration and that's the reason for it.
>
> As for pronunciation, I think ESPN commentators just aren't making any real
> effort at all. The BBC may be better because I know that they actually train
> their presenters on pronunciation and they have pronunciation guides. Today
> an ESPN commentator repeatedly referred to "Del Peero" while the woman
> commentator they had said "Del Pi-ero", which I believe is correct.
>
> I don't even think the ESPN commentators could recognize the German
> chancellor. They never pointed her out although the camera has cut to her
> repeatedly.

This has been going on at ESPN for years -- no matter what sport they
cover, they make no effort whatsoever to determine the correct
pronunciation. So the broadcasters take a look at the letters on the
page and guess. Some of them seem to throw them up in the air and
pronounce them in whatever order they fall (metasethizing at will),
following English spelling rules. I can understand when they don't know
the number 278 player in the world, but I find it especially offensive
that they can't even get top players like "Sharapova" and top models
like "Kournikova" right. I can only conclude that it's company policy --
it's too consistent to be anything else.

As for "del Piero," it has three syllables in all (not four), stress on
the second "e." A faithful Russian transliteration would be
"дель-Пьеро." Google has 188,000 hits for "Дель Пьеро," which is close
enough.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com