the Russian gaze

Maryna Vinarska vinarska at YAHOO.COM
Sun Jul 9 19:36:50 UTC 2006

Alina Israeli <aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU> wrote:The quote was from:

http://www.radiomayak.ru/schedules/6852/26732.html

Here's another source: http://www.sovross.ru/2006/07/07_2_4.htm

.......................Thanks. If it really was like that, the only thing I can say is... well done!!! Pity that I was not there at that time. Ukrainians like having fun very much and those whose idea it was definitely entertained themselves on a large scale...
But I doubt that even with this trick the percentage of those "ukrainianized" for that very limited period of time is in any way compatible with the percentage of those forever russified through the whole history of soviet Ukraine.
Besides, I doubt that those protesting against their "ukrainianized" names were thrown to prison like all those Ukrainians, who protested against russification _on the territory of Ukraine_, normally ended up.

Regards,
Maryna Vinarska