the Russian gaze

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Sun Jul 9 21:41:43 UTC 2006

Maryna Vinarska <vinarska at YAHOO.COM> wrote:

>.......................Thanks. If it really was like that, the only thing
>I can say is... well done!!! Pity that I was not there at that time.

When I was 9 years old a classmate came up to me after watching a war film
called "Devjatyj krug"  on TV ('9th circle' - we didn't even know what
exactly it meant) where there were scenes where Jews were hanged and said,
that he was sorry he wasn't there; he would have hanged me with pleasure
(ja by tebja s udovol'stviem povesil). The irony of it was (which I also
understood much later) that his father was a Soviet officer at that time,
and needless to say it was the nazi who were doing the hanging in the film.

Now, I am having a sense of deja vu.

 Alina Israeli
 LFS, American University
 4400 Mass. Ave., NW