What's in a name? (Petrograd)

Jules Levin ameliede at EARTHLINK.NET
Mon Jul 10 01:45:49 UTC 2006

Dear Seelangers:

I wonder if someone can settle a dispute I am having on another
list?  The disputant insists that the name
Petrograd for St Petersburg appeared in *usage* only in 1914, when it
became official, whereas I am convinced that it was
being used unofficially somewhat earlier.  My opinion is based only
on my mother's passing on my grandmother's stories
from there--she arrived in America in 1891 at the age of 15.
Usage in literary works would certainly help to nail this down...
Jules Levin