What's in a name? (Petrograd)

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Mon Jul 10 02:58:35 UTC 2006

>Dear Seelangers:
>
>I wonder if someone can settle a dispute I am having on another
>list?  The disputant insists that the name
>Petrograd for St Petersburg appeared in *usage* only in 1914, when it
>became official,

Exactly. The British dinasty changed its name from Saxe-Coburg-Gotha to
Windsor only in 1917 due to the war with the (first) cousin Kaiser, and
St.Petersburg Russianized its name in 1914, at the beginning of the war
(with the same cousin-in-law-Kaiser).

 Alina Israeli
 LFS, American University
 4400 Mass. Ave., NW