Origin of SOVREMENNYJ in Russian

Wayles Browne ewb2 at CORNELL.EDU
Wed Jul 12 18:50:16 UTC 2006

Certainly the parts of the word are so-, vremen-, and -n-yj, but that
is only one of two ways to do etymology. The other way is to describe
the history of the word within the language. Using the etymological
dictionary by Vasmer (Fasmer), I am able to describe the word
obstojatel'stvo in these two ways:
1) made of ob-, stoja-, -tel', -stvo
2) made of ob-, stoja-, -tel', -stvo, appears first in the writings
of Karamzin, is a calque from German Umstand or French circonstance,
which are renderings of Latin circumstantia, Greek peristasis

Can anybody give me information of type 2) for sovremennyj?

--

Wayles Browne, Assoc. Prof. of Linguistics
Department of Linguistics

tel. 607-255-0712 (o), 607-273-3009 (h)
fax 607-255-2044 (write FOR W. BROWNE)
e-mail ewb2 at cornell.edu