hyphenation question

Hugh Olmsted hugh_olmsted at COMCAST.NET
Tue Jul 18 06:07:09 UTC 2006

Dear colleagues,

Here's a kind of conservative set of partially ordered rules which
should mostly  work.
1. Any transliterated combination should be treated  as its Russian
counterpart.  Thus, for example,
any multi-consonant  transliterated sequence representing a single
Russian letter shouldn't be broken up (e.g. shch, ts, kh, ia, iu, in
the simplified-LC system).
2. It's preferable not to leave a single letter alone at the end or
beginning of a line.
3. Otherwise, it's safe to divide between two vowels (a, e, i, o, u
y  -- e.g., mo-ego, razdelia-emym)
4. It's generally safe to divide  after a vowel followed by a single
consonant (including those described in no. 1,  above -- e.g.,  Po-po-
va, Ti-kho-mi-ro-va, ovo-shchi)
5. It's generally safe to break at the boundary between prefix and
root (raz-deliaemym,  is-pravit', is-tratit').
6. Otherwise, certain consonant combinations should preferably not be
split up (generally those allowed in syllable-initial position, and
frequently with a resulting whiff of morphological conditioning,
such that suffixes like -sk+ and -stv+ stay together): e.g.,  tv,
stv, tr, str, dr, zdr, dv, sk, or any consonant plus l or r or iu /
ia (= ju, ja).  This preference, it's true,  has been being relaxed
in more recent times.
7. Otherwise  it's okay to divide between two consonants (after a
soft sign, if one be present -- pol-nyi, vol'-nyi), preferable not
to  break before the two consonants.

All of this yields among other things the following results for the
list cited (slightly at variance with some of the discussion so far):
chuv-stvi-tel'-no / Go-du-nov / po-pri-shche / Po-pri-shchin / ob-
shche-stvo / mno-go-chi-slen-naia.

Note that the "phonetic effect" of the weakening / disappearing -v-
is not traditionally taken as  relevant.  The Russian word division
rules, unlike their English counterparts, have traditionally been
taken as a graphic system only.

Hugh Olmsted