Film "Born in the USSR: 21 Up"

Larry McLellan mclellan at GSS.UCSB.EDU
Thu Jul 20 20:42:31 UTC 2006

Dear SEELANGers,

I wanted to alert you to a cable television presentation of the 2005
film "Born in the USSR: 21 Up".   It is scheduled to be shown this
Sunday morning, July 23, on the Discovery Times station at 7:00-8:30
a.m. Eastern time (4:00-5:30 a.m. Pacific time).

This is the third in a fascinating series of documentary films
tracing the lives of a group of young people in the (former) Soviet
Union.  The series is modeled on Michael Apted's British series that
has traced a group of people over several decades.  "21 Up," finished
last year, is currently owned by Swedish television.  It played at
various European film festivals last year and is now evidently
appearing only on cable television in the U.S.

If anyone has information about the availability of "7-Up in the
Soviet Union" or "Born in the USSR: 14 Up", I'd appreciate hearing
from you.

--LM

Larry McLellan
Dept. of Germanic, Slavic & Semitic Studies
University of California, Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara, CA  93106-4130
Office telephone: (805) 893-8945
Office fax: (805) 893-2374