Russian typographic conventions

Thu Jul 20 21:22:39 UTC 2006

Building on last weeks' hyphenation question, can anyone refer me to a
comprehensive Russian source on punctuation and typographic conventions?

I'd like to be able to answer questions like this (not an exhaustive
list, but if you try to answer them, you'll be exhausted ;-) ):

• Where are you allowed to hyphenate such-and-such word?

• Is it proper to use a hyphen for number ranges such as "22-33," or
must you use an en dash as in English?

• Is it just common practice, or is it normative to delete the second
closing quotation mark when they occur together? E.g., ОАО «НК «Юкос» etc.

• Is it proper to use en dashes or even hyphens for em dashes in phrases
such as «Ты -- дурак!», or is that just MS Word interference?

• I routinely use a hard (nonbreaking) space in phrases such as «г.
Russian texts. What's the correct usage?

• Should I omit the space in plural abbreviations such as «ст.ст.» for

• How does Russian indicate interpolations, editorial commentary, etc.?
I never seem to see [square] brackets.

Etc.

Is there a Russian equivalent of CMoS, Fowler's, Stunk & White, etc.?

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com