razreshite dolozhit'

Kevin Windle kevin.windle at ANU.EDU.AU
Sun Jul 23 22:54:04 UTC 2006

Robert,

I believe the usual phrase is, or used to be, 'Permission to report',
but there may well be acceptable variations.

Kevin Windle

Dr K. M. Windle,
Reader, School of Language Studies,
Australian National University,
Canberra,
A.C.T. 0200,
Australia
Telephone: (61) (02) 6125-2885
Fax: (61) (02) 6125-3252
E-mail: Kevin.Windle at anu.edu.au

-----Original Message-----
From: Slavic & East European Languages and Literature list
[mailto:SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU] On Behalf Of Jack Franke
Sent: Monday, July 24, 2006 8:38 AM
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] reporting to commissars

>  I now realize that I'm not sure how
> best to translate 'razreshite dolozhit' either.

 Robert, I would translate your phrase "Permission to speak, Comrade
Komissar." Normally komissars, and now chaplains, are not addressed by
rank,
unless they are receiving an award or promotion...

Best,

Jack Franke, Ph.D., Professor of Russian
Coordinator, Russian Department B
European and Latin American School
Defense Language Institute Foreign Language Center
Monterey, CA 93944
Work: (831) 242-7512
Home: (831) 373-2704
FAX: (831) 373-2782