reporting to commissars

Loren A. Billings billings at NCNU.EDU.TW
Tue Jul 25 14:08:03 UTC 2006

On 7/24/06 1:49 PM, <paulbg at PBG-TRANSLATIONS.COM> wrote:

> If you have to invent a rank (after all, there is no exact equivalent in
> English), I'd suggest "grade": "Commissar Grade 2" or "Commissar Second
> Grade." We have a parallel in ranks like "Lieutenant Junior Grade."
>
> I'd avoid the parallel of "Private First Class" because AFAIK there is
> no "Private Second/Third/etc. Class" -- either you're first class or
> you're not.

By the same reasoning, although the U.S. Navy, Coast Guard, and Uniformed
Public Health Service have a the rank of lieutenant junior grade, the next
highest rank, although called lieutenant, is not called senior grade.
Nonetheless, I agree with Paul's "grade" idea. Cheers, --Loren