History - Background (Revised)

Benjamin Rifkin benjamin.rifkin at TEMPLE.EDU
Mon Jul 24 12:12:09 UTC 2006

Dear SEELANGers:

On Friday I posted a summary of suggestions of history textbooks. I
apologize that I had a typo in one author¹s name that I correct below. I
also have learned of a couple more titles, so I am including them now in an
expanded (and corrected) list for your convenience.

One correspondent suggested that I caution SEELANGers to consider the date
of publication of each book on the list since, as he put it so well, ³basic
lines of interpretation and research ... shift considerably over time,
shifts not always properly reflected in updated Œrevised editions¹.²

Thanks again to all who helped me compile (and correct) the list.

Sincerely,

Ben Rifkin

Ronald Hingley's "Russia: A Concise History"
John M. Thompson¹s ³Russia and the Soviet Union: An Historical Introduction
from the Kievan State to the Present, John M. Thompson²
Roger Barlett¹s ³History of Russia²
G. Hosking's "Russia and the Russians: A History" (2001/2003)
G. Hosking¹s ³Russia, People & Empire 1552-1917² (1997)
G. Hosking¹s, ³The Russians in the Soviet Union: Rulers and Victims² (2006)

Thanks to Wendy Rosslyn, Bill Comer, Boris Wolfson, Jeanette Owen, Maria
Carlson and Mark Conliffe for their help.

Sincerely,

Ben Rifkin

--
Benjamin Rifkin
Professor of Russian and Vice Dean for Undergraduate Affairs