Discussing racial attacks with students and help finding information on the 'piataia grafa'

Galina Rylkova grylkova at UFL.EDU
Wed Jul 26 17:57:50 UTC 2006

Actually, my experience this summer in Russia (Moscow, St. Petersburg,
Vladimir, Suzdal' and  Nizhnii Novgorod) was quite the opposite. I was
pleasantly surprised by the kindness and tolerance of people in
general. Even my new expensive digital camera was returned to me after
I had left it in the train compartment. When I reported it missing at
the Moscow Railway Station in St. Petersburg (I did it for the sake of
my students, who felt sorry for me and wanted me to do something) I
never thought that I was going to see it again, but I did a few days
later for a reward of 1000 rubles. When I think what average Muscovites
(with Moscow being the most expensive city in the world) have to go
through on a daily basis, I am amazed at and grateful for their ability
to remain human in most situations.

Galina Rylkova