Pseudo-epenthetic /l/ in Slavic

E Wayles Browne ewb2 at CORNELL.EDU
Wed Jul 26 19:13:46 UTC 2006

If I recall correctly, Nahtigal uses the abbreviation sle. [slovenski] for
'Slovenian' and sla. [slovanski] for 'Slavic'. *pl'ujo with a hook under
the o [not an open o, but a nasal vowel o] is good reconstructed Common
Slavic for 'I spit' [1st person singular present tense].

1) The difference between non-syllabic i and the consonant j is indeed
unclear in various phonetic theories. Phoneticians know various kinds of
j, with more friction and with less friction (in Spanish [j], spelled y
and sometimes ll, has a lot of friction, and can become a fricative
obstruent in various regional pronunciations). It would be nice if Slavic
linguistics could contribute to a better understanding of it.

2) and 4) are very good questions, and I don't have good answers for them.
On 3), there is a similar phenomenon in Czech, namely an epenthetic n'.
Older [mj] has become [mn'] (m followed by a palatal n). Thus the past
tense of 'to have' (mi/t} is spelled me\/l; the letter e\/, representing
the old vowel "jat", is now pronounced je after most labial consonants, as
in pe\/t [pjet] 'five', but after m we get the pronunciation [mn'el].

Wayles Browne, Assoc. Prof. of Linguistics
Department of Linguistics
Morrill Hall 220, Cornell University
Ithaca, New York 14853, U.S.A.

tel. 607-255-0712 (o), 607-273-3009 (h)