Pseudo-epenthetic /l/ in Slavic

Henning Andersen andersen at UCLA.EDU
Wed Jul 26 20:21:15 UTC 2006

Hi,

Traditionally, the term epenthetic literally
means inserted and is synchronically, in Common
Slavic and some descendents, applicable to the
/l"/ that is inserted in inflection and
derivation after labials before certain affixes.
The /l"/ in pljujoN, bljudo, etc. is not
epenthetic in this sense, but a fixed part of the
given CS roots. (I personally don't like the term
and this distinction.)

The elimination of glides, esp. /j/ in complex
(marked) consonant environments is common. I call
it deiotation.

>From English one could cite the types dew, tune,
New Engl. dial /tiu:n/, /diu:/, gnl. American
/tu:n/, /du:/. In British dialects widely with
the same initial consonants as chew and jew.

Deiotation often leads to the change of glides to
obstruents, sometimes to liquids. Contrast

Pol. dial. psies, bzialy, o(f)siara, co(w)ziek,
mniara for Pol. st. pies, bialy, ofiara,
czlowiek, miara

and

Jekavian pljeti, bljezhati, vljera, mljera.

In the Slavic languages, /j/ is obstruentized in
languages where also /w/ is, and where liquids
too may be obstruentized in some environments;
e.g., Pol.st. twardy [tf-], ro/w [-f], trzy
[tsh-], dial. sxoma [sx-] for st. sloma . Where
/j/ becomes a liquid, other glides and some
liquids become (non-syllabic) vowels, and some
obstruents become liquids; e.g., SCB pao < pal,
more < mozhe.

The contrasting developments in syllable onsets
can be described in terms of spreading, from left
to right in the Pol. ex., the other way in SCB.
One can classify the Pol. ex. as fortition, the
SCB one as lenition, perhaps.

But the larger picture seems to call for a different perspective.

A fuller account in "Vocalic and consonantal
languages", Studia Linguistica A. V. Issatschenko
a Collegis et Amicis oblata, ed. Lubomir DurovicĀš
et al., 1-12. Lisse: De Ridder Press, 1978.

Interestingly, the same distinction appears
applicable to the contrast between the Germanic
consonant shift (p t k > f th h) and the later
High German consonant shift. When High German p
t  k change to pf/f/ff  ts/s/ss  kx/x/xx,
features spread from left to right. But the
development of simple aspiration in North German
is a spread of vowel features from right to left.

  See "On bifurcations and the Germanic consonant
shifts". Language in Time and Space. A
Festschrift for Werner Winter on the Occasion of
his 80th Birthday (Trends in Linguistics. Studies
and Monographs 144) ed. by Brigitte L. M. Bauer
and Georges-Jean Pinault. Berlin-New York: Mouton
de Gruyter. 2003

>Dear SEELANGers,
>
>Reading Rajko Nahtigal's "Slavic languages" (Ljubljana, 1952; Moscow, 1963),
>I found the following statement:
>"The soft l' (also) developed from non-syllabic i after labial conso-
>nants: i.-e. * (s)pieu [non-syllabic i and u] , lat. spuo, lith. spiauju,
>slovene pl'ujo [open o]. The traditionnal label "l-epentheticum" (inserted
>l) is not correct for the soft l'".

I have four questions pertaining to this quotation: