good Russ. to Engl. transl. software?

David Savignac Dtsavslavic at AOL.COM
Sat Jul 29 19:36:11 UTC 2006

In a message dated 7/27/2006 3:08:33 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
s-hill4 at UIUC.EDU writes:

Dear  colleagues:

Greg Armstrong, a former Russian student working on a  project for
a govt. agency, raises the question attached below. If any of  you
knowledgeable folks could provide him with suggestions, please
do  so.  If possible, please reply directly to Armstrong's E-Mail  address.
But if that won't work, you could reply to me and I would  forward the
replies. -- Gratefully, Steven P Hill, University of  Illinois.
_ ___ __ __ __ _

Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 09:07:37
From:  Greg Armstrong <garmstr2 at uiuc.edu>
Subject: Translation  Question

I have an assistantship doing cultural research for the  Army
Corps of Engineers. I am currently researching Azerbaijan, and
more specifically Baku. Over the past few months I have been
able to  find a number of different sources of information in
Russian.  My  Russian is admittedly rather rusty and limited.

Therefore, my boss was  wondering if there is any good
TRANSLATION SOFTWARE ON THE MARKET, FOR  TRANSLATING
TEXTS FROM RUSSIAN TO ENGLISH. I know that the best
software can not compare to human translation, but given our
time  frame,  it seems the best option. If you have any suggestions
on  software or someone that I could ask, it would be greatly
appreciated.

Thank you for your time,
Greg Armstrong  <garmstr2 at uiuc.edu>
Graduate School of Library and  Information Science,
University of Illinois at  Urbana-Champaign.

Greg,

Please contact me at my office -- 303-688-7964, _dtsavig at fggm.osis.gov_
(mailto:dtsavig at fggm.osis.gov)  -- and we'll talk  about what we can do to help
you.  We have software called CyberTrans that  can handle about 70 languages,
with automatic language/encoding identification,  spelling enhancement & assorted
other bells and whistles.   Unfortunately, the state of the art for MT is
that although it does quite well  for triage (scanning, filtering, topic
identification), it is still pretty poor  in overall quality of translation.
CyberTrans comes free for USG use, but  you might have to access it over a network
such as OSIS:  if that  doesn't work for you, then we can look at other options.

We have all the Slavic languages covered (well, OK, not Lusatian) and by  the
way, we offer Azeri as one of the languages.

[To all others :  sorry, CyberTrans is not commercially  available.]

Dave

David Savignac, Ph.D., Director
The Center for Applied Machine Translation
Ft. George G. Meade, MD
_dtsavig at fggm.osis.gov_ (mailto:dtsavig at fggm.osis.gov)      301-688-7964