Vysotskii & old ballads (cont.)

Robert A. Rothstein rar at SLAVIC.UMASS.EDU
Mon Jul 31 17:57:42 UTC 2006

I forgot to mention two more or less exact quotes from "Dve gitary" in
the Vysotskii song:

	1. A na gore stoit ol'kha,
	   A pod goroiu vishnia...

	2. A v chistom pole vasil'ki,
	   Dal'niaia doroga.

And since Professor Hill cited Deanna Durbin singing Russian songs in
the 1943 Hollywood film "His Brother's Butler," let me add a mention of
Norma Shearer singing along to a jukebox version of "Kak stranno"/"How
Strange" (also known as "My tol'ko znakomy") in the 1939 film "Idiot's
Delight" (with Clark Gable as her audience in a diner). She apparently
also sang "Ochi chernye" in that film, but I don't remember it.

More examples of Russian songs in American movies, anyone?

Bob Rothstein