Russian films

Brewer, Michael brewerm at U.LIBRARY.ARIZONA.EDU
Tue Jun 13 19:34:35 UTC 2006

Deborah,

Check out this site.  It describes format and regional encodings issues.
NTSC is what plays on US machines.  You also need to watch out for
regional encodings, however.

http://dizzy.library.arizona.edu/users/brewerm/sil/tech/video.html

mb

Michael Brewer
University of Arizona Library A210
1510 E. University
P.O. Box 210055
Tucson, AZ 85721
Voice: 520.307.2771
Fax: 520.621.9733
brewerm at u.library.arizona.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: Slavic & East European Languages and Literature list
[mailto:SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU] On Behalf Of Deborah Hoffman
Sent: Tuesday, June 13, 2006 12:29 PM
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] Russian films

Keep in mind this question is coming from someone who doesn't own a DVD
player (yes, in 2006!) but is considering getting one:  I notice the
DVDs on russiandvd.com seem to be marked NTSC.  Is this the format that
will play on a US-purchased player?  What is the format common in Russia
so I know what to avoid (i.e. if I see something on Ebay, etc.)?
  Thanks! Deborah