Translation question

Steve Marder asred at COX.NET
Thu Jun 15 13:01:35 UTC 2006

John,

> Does anyone know an appropriate English equivalent for
> "научно-практический центр" (nauchno-pratkicheskij tsentr)?
> It is in the Russian title of a medical institution is located in
> Belarus.
>
> Please reply on or off list.

>John Woodsworth

Your question is not a trivial one. If we take a medical institution, e.g.,
НПЦ озонотерапии, it would be better (best?) to say “Scientific Center for
Applied Ozone Therapy.” Another example: НПЦ медицинской радиологии
might be rendered as “Scientific and Clinical Center for Medical Radiology”
or “Center for Scientific Research and Rehabilitation in Medical Radiology.”
As usual, though, “appropriate” is context-specific. Hope this is of some
help.

Steve