AW: [SEELANGS] Lermontov as the "Russian Mozart"?

FIEGUTH Rolf rolf.fieguth at UNIFR.CH
Fri Jun 16 15:24:27 UTC 2006

Anna Akhmatova seems to have seen in Pushkin´s "Mozart and Salieri" an echo of Pushkin´s high appreciation of Mickiewicz; Mozart should then be "identified" with Mickiewicz (not Lermontov), Salieri with Pushkin. Maybe, this conception has been mentioned in Akhmatova´s sketch "Pushkin i Mickiewicz" (which does no longer exist). I would be happy if someone could remind us who and where mentions Akhmatova´s Mickiewicz-Pushkin idea.
Rolf Fieguth

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Slavic & East European Languages and Literature list [mailto:SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU] Im Auftrag von Peter Scotto
Gesendet: Montag, 12. Juni 2006 20:49
An: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU
Betreff: [SEELANGS] Lermontov as the "Russian Mozart"?

>From the program notes to yestersday's performance of "Mozart and Salieri"  by the American Symphony Orchestra in New York:

"Pushkin himself, not unlike many of the greatest artists and writers, was profoundly self-critical. In Mozart and Salieri, the tension between the two figures has an autobiographical dimension. One might assume that Pushkin represented the Mozart of Russian letters. -->But Pushkin thought his contemporary, the romantic poet Mihail Yurievich Lermontov (1814-1841; author of the seminal novel A Hero of Our Times) was actually the true Mozart of
poetry.<-- It was Salieri, the hardworking, politic also-ran, deprived of the spontaneous genius of a Mozart, with whom Pushkin identified."

Anyone know where Pushkin expressed the opinion attributed to him above?

Peter Scotto
Mount Holyoke College
pscotto at mtholyoke.edu