2 "mounds" (dva kurgana)

Prof Steven P Hill s-hill4 at UIUC.EDU
Sat Jun 17 05:54:39 UTC 2006

Dear colleagues:

Thanks to the messages about Mamaev kurgan ("Mamai's Mound")  posted
on SEELANGS yesterday, I belatedly realized the difference between "Mamaev
kurgan" and "Malakhov kurgan."   It's about time.

To be sure, both phrases  bring back memories of WW2, but I now see that
the former relates to Stalingrad (Tsaritsyn), the latter to Sevastopol'.  During
WW2, the famous directing team Kheifits and Zarkhi made a big war film,
probably now forgotten,  entitled "Malakhov kurgan."

Cheers,
SPH--Steven P Hill,
University of Illinois.