How to translate "ochered'" (not the kind for toilet paper)?

Loren A. Billings billings at NCNU.EDU.TW
Sun Jun 18 06:56:46 UTC 2006

On 6/18/06 7:31 AM, "Steve Marder" <asred at COX.NET> wrote:

> Some more suggestions: spray with volleys (bursts) of automatic gunfire

This opens a new can of worms. If I'm not mistaken, a _volley_ in the
technical sense is alternating fire from multiple gun emplacements, whereas
a _salvo_ is when the guns fire simultaneously. The distinction is important
if the weapons are mounted on a ship; a salvo will keep one gun from causing
the vessel to shift slightly in the water and thereby interfere with the
other weapon's aim. There are also complications where there are volleys
within a single turret but salvoes where the whole battery or vessel are
concerned. I suggest avoiding the use of terms that have a specific
technical meaning.

By the way, _automatic_ has a specific meaning too. It's when the weapon
continuously fires without having to keep pulling the trigger; _full auto_
also says this, as opposed to _limited-burst auto_ (where a single sustained
pull of the trigger allows only some three or four rounds be fired in rapid
succession). Finally, _semi-automatic_ describes a weapon's ability to
discharge a series of rounds rapidly, but with a single trigger pull per
round fired (but still without having to re-cock the weapon each time).

Despite providing all this clarification, I do not wish to give the
impression that weapons are fun things. These are instruments of death and I
don't wish to imply that killing is a desirable thing. --Loren Billings