"assault rifle" for "avtomat"?

Chris B. Clough chrisbclough at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jun 20 06:04:29 UTC 2006

A Kalashnikov is not, to my understanding, a submachine gun. Assault
rifle is better, I think.
A submachine gun is usually smaller (hence 'sub'), like the UZI or the
H&K MP5. And while machine gun sounds slightly "Rambo" to my ear, it
may be the best descriptive for something larger like the M60.

Chris Clough

On 6/17/06, Peter Scotto <pscotto at mtholyoke.edu> wrote:
> What about "assault rifle" for "avtomat." I'm no expert on this, but isn't that
> how the Kalashnikov is usually classified?
>

> Quoting "Paul B. Gallagher" <paulbg at PBG-TRANSLATIONS.COM>:
>
> > Peter Scotto wrote:
> >
> > > Yes, "ochered'" is usually translated as "burst" in this context. I
> > > like the suggestion here very much.
> >
> > Agreed. And "raked" or "sprayed" could both work.
> >
> > But "submachine gun" sounds a bit passe to my ear; I'm more accustomed
> > to seeing/hearing "automatic weapon" or "machine gun" in the news and
> > entertainment media. Readers with U.S. military experience are invited
> > to chime in at this point.
> >
> > --
> > War doesn't determine who's right, just who's left.
> > --
> > Paul B. Gallagher
> > pbg translations, inc.
> > "Russian Translations That Read Like Originals"
> > http://pbg-translations.com

> >   options, and more.  Visit and bookmark the SEELANGS Web Interface at:
> >                     http://seelangs.home.comcast.net/

Chris B. Clough
+7 495 252 4826 (home)
+7 926 524 3152 (mobile)