FW: [SEELANGS] How to translate "ochered'" (not the kind for toil et paper)?

Loren A. Billings billings at NCNU.EDU.TW
Wed Jun 21 17:06:21 UTC 2006

On 6/22/06 12:51 AM, "Paul B. Gallagher" <paulbg at PBG-TRANSLATIONS.COM>
wrote:

> If memory serves, the original post had полоснул (polosnul).
>
> I do like "mowed them down," but like you, I don't find "automatic
> burst" very felicitous -- it sounds like the burst was initiated
> automatically. Since a burst is inherently automatic, we might leave
> "automatic" out entirely. But if you want to include it, how about
> "mowed them down with a burst of automatic (weapon) fire"?

I keep frowning at _burst_ because it can mean the limited set of bullets
from the newer weapons.

I've searched through an English thesaurus trying to find a word like row,
array, ribbon, stripe, or even string of beads to refer to the rather
uniform set of holes made by automatic fire. None of them works for me.
Maybe there's some kind of street/gangster slang to describe this sort of
thing. --Loren Billings