FW: [SEELANGS] How to translate "ochered'" (not the kind for toil et paper)?

Loren A. Billings billings at NCNU.EDU.TW
Wed Jun 21 17:30:46 UTC 2006

"Paul B. Gallagher" <paulbg at PBG-TRANSLATIONS.COM> wrote:

> From what I hear, one of the first things the troops in the field do when they
> get their weapons is defeat the restriction.

That and the so-called governors that restrict the speed of combat vehicles.

> As far as uniformity goes, I think it's the least of our worries. As
> long as we convey the sense of many bullets providing continuous
> coverage of the target area, I think we've accomplished the mission.

How about this: _mowed them down with a spread of bullets from his
automatic_?

> But if a burst sounds too limited (and to my mind "spray" doesn't suffer
> that deficiency), here's something off the wall: how about "hosed them
> down with a spray of bullets"?

No, _mowed_ not _hosed_ (to my ear at least).

> But seriously, I think the place to look is in gangster fiction -- maybe
> something about the Valentine's Day massacre, etc.

Gladly, I'm not in the killing business, so I just don't know. --Loren