New techy approaches to the teaching of Russian (radical versions thereof?)

Monnier, Nicole M. MonnierN at MISSOURI.EDU
Wed Jun 21 20:04:19 UTC 2006

SEELANGStsy!

I'm sitting in a teaching & technology seminar and am amazed to discover (what I consider) radical uses of technology  that takes language teaching out of (or reduces the time spent in) the brick-and-mortar classroom and into the magical world (!) of technology.  I'm not talking about video classrooms, where an instructor is teaching a class from one site to a variety of of classrooms in other locations. (Though FYI, this seems to be one way in which the US Dept. of Ed. is supporting the teaching of Arabic - see http://www.arabicstudies.edu/index.shtm.)

An example of what I mean can be found the program description for an intro Spanish class at Portland State U. created through the National Center for Academic Transformation:

http://www.center.rpi.edu/PCR/R3/PoSU/PoSU_Overview.htm.

The "transformation" replaced in-class time for grammar instruction with web-based and software-based activities; automated a goodly amount of grading; cut down the number of hours in class per week (3x to 2x); and finally, reduced the number of instructors in the course.

I find myself at once horrified and fascinated by this prospect. Is anyone doing this with Russian (or any other Slavic language, for that matter)?

Curiously,

Nicole

Nicole Monnier
Assistant Professor of Instruction
Director of Undergraduate Studies (Russian)
German & Russian Studies
University of Missouri - Columbia
Columbia, MO 65211

office: 573.882.3370