Identify a Russian story

June Farris jpf3 at UCHICAGO.EDU
Tue Jun 27 19:08:49 UTC 2006

I have just received the following reference question and need help
narrowing it down to possible titles!  I thought SEELANGS would be the best
possible place to go for help!  So, here's your chance to help a librarian!
My thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Question:
"Please, I need your help. Many years ago a tale (or novel, I don't
remember well) probably written by a Russian author, moved me deeply but I
don't remember the author's name. The plot: in a party of soldiers, their
superior get drunk and humiliates his fellows, but in the end he himself
becomes a pathetic and ridiculous person that provokes uneasiness and
compassion. If the plot is familiar to you, I hope you remember who wrote it."

Regards,
June Farris

June Pachuta Farris
Bibliographer for Slavic, East