electronic pocket translators

Alexander Ogden ogdenj at GWM.SC.EDU
Wed Mar 1 14:58:42 UTC 2006

Dear colleagues,

A colleague in the sciences who makes frequent research trips to Russia
wants recommendations on electronic pocket translators.  He's particularly
interested in the ECTACO Travel SpeechGuard TL-2R,
http://www.ectaco.com/ECTACO-TL-2R/

A check of the SEELANGS archives suggests this topic hasn't been discussed
here since 1999.  Has technology gotten good enough that such things are
worth the price?

I have cautioned him that this is no substitute for a human interpreter,
but he's hoping it's better than nothing (so far I remain unconvinced).

Any feedback much appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex Ogden

Dr. J. Alexander Ogden
Assistant Professor of Russian and Comparative Literature
Russian Program Director / Coordinator, Russian Area Studies
Dept of Languages, Literatures, and Cultures
University of South Carolina
Columbia, SC 29208
(803) 777-9573; fax: (803) 777-0454