Cell phone in Russia?

Julia Trubikhina trubikhina at AOL.COM
Sun Mar 5 17:10:08 UTC 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: Amanda Ewington <amewington at DAVIDSON.EDU>
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU
Sent:         Fri, 3 Mar 2006 13:36:09 -0500
Subject: [SEELANGS] Cell phone in Russia?

  Hello all,

  I will be in Moscow and St. Petersburg for six weeks this summer
leading Davidson?s summer program and would like to work out a cell
phone plan before I go. Last time I led the group, in 2003, I borrowed
a phone from a Russian colleague and then had to navigate Megafon?s
office bureaucracy and long lines. Given the ubiquity of cell phones
around Moscow, I assume there must be an easier way! Does anyone out
there have experience with buying a phone here that works with a
Russian SIM card? If so, was it a hassle to get the card in Moscow? In
other words, can a Megafon office visit be avoided? I?m also wondering
about rentals. I found several options on the web and would be grateful
to hear your experiences with any of the following companies:

 http://www.cellularabroad.com/russiasg.html
 https://www.gotorussia.com/cell_phone_rentals.htm
 http://www.telestial.com/view_product.php?PRODUCT_ID=LSIM-RU01
 http://www.waytorussia.net/Services/Extra/Mobile.html

http://www.travelcell.com/tcrates.asp?ID=CIJETFZVXG1138664798773&COUNTRY=
131&cntitle=Russia
 http://www.bootsnall.com/guides/05-09/russia-cell-phone-rental.html
 Shercomservice : Sheremetevo Airport

 Thank you!

 Amanda Ewington
 ____________________________________
 Amanda Ewington, Ph.D.
 Assistant Professor of Russian
 Davidson College
 Department of German and Russian
 Box 6936
 Davidson, NC 28035-6936
 tel: (704)894-2397
 fax: (704)894-2782
 amewington at davidson.edu
 http://www.davidson.edu/russian/index.htm

 Courier:
 209 Ridge Road
 Davidson, NC 28036

 options, and more. Visit and bookmark the SEELANGS Web Interface at: