Cell phone in Russia?

Julia Trubikhina trubikhina at AOL.COM
Sun Mar 5 17:17:09 UTC 2006

I am using Bee Line in Moscow and am very happy with it.  Ask for any
special "tarify" available when you activate your phone. Actually, I
would not even bother with buying phones in the US that would work on
both sides of the Atlantic.  I bought the cheapest cell phone in Moscow
(which can easily be resold at half price once you don't need it
anymore), it works just fine and you can put more money on the card at
virtually every kiosque (no need to stand in any lines).

---------------------
Julia Trubikhina

Assistant Professor of Russian
Russian Program Coordinator
Department of Modern Languages and Literatures
Montclair State University
Dickson Hall, Room 138
Montclair, NJ 07043

-----Original Message-----
From: Amanda Ewington <amewington at DAVIDSON.EDU>
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU
Sent:         Fri, 3 Mar 2006 13:36:09 -0500
Subject: [SEELANGS] Cell phone in Russia?

  Hello all,

  I will be in Moscow and St. Petersburg for six weeks this summer
leading Davidson?s summer program and would like to work out a cell
phone plan before I go. Last time I led the group, in 2003, I borrowed
a phone from a Russian colleague and then had to navigate Megafon?s
office bureaucracy and long lines. Given the ubiquity of cell phones
around Moscow, I assume there must be an easier way! Does anyone out
there have experience with buying a phone here that works with a
Russian SIM card? If so, was it a hassle to get the card in Moscow? In
other words, can a Megafon office visit be avoided? I?m also wondering
about rentals. I found several options on the web and would be grateful
to hear your experiences with any of the following companies:

 http://www.cellularabroad.com/russiasg.html
 https://www.gotorussia.com/cell_phone_rentals.htm
 http://www.telestial.com/view_product.php?PRODUCT_ID=LSIM-RU01
 http://www.waytorussia.net/Services/Extra/Mobile.html

http://www.travelcell.com/tcrates.asp?ID=CIJETFZVXG1138664798773&COUNTRY=
131&cntitle=Russia
 http://www.bootsnall.com/guides/05-09/russia-cell-phone-rental.html
 Shercomservice : Sheremetevo Airport

 Thank you!

 Amanda Ewington
 ____________________________________
 Amanda Ewington, Ph.D.
 Assistant Professor of Russian
 Davidson College
 Department of German and Russian
 Box 6936
 Davidson, NC 28035-6936
 tel: (704)894-2397
 fax: (704)894-2782
 amewington at davidson.edu
 http://www.davidson.edu/russian/index.htm

 Courier:
 209 Ridge Road
 Davidson, NC 28036

 options, and more. Visit and bookmark the SEELANGS Web Interface at: