Post-Soviet Text

Michael Denner mdenner at STETSON.EDU
Mon Mar 6 01:01:00 UTC 2006

Dear Frederick White,
I've used recently, with pretty good success, Kotkin's Armageddon Averted, which starts, roughly, in 1974 and carries forth until the Putin era. The course I used it in was social-science oriented, with largely first-year students.

Armageddon is short, the prose is vigorous and clear -- even students befuddled by Florida public education could get it. It got the nod from my colleagues in Political Science and Economics... It makes a cogent and convincing narrative of twenty years of tumult. A useful set of landmarks for comprehending twenty years of history.

I liked it.

()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()
Dr. Michael A. Denner
Editor, Tolstoy Studies Journal
Director, University Honors Program

Contact Information:
Russian Studies Program
Stetson University
Campus Box 8361
DeLand, FL 32720-3756
386.822.7381 (department)
386.822.7265 (direct line)
386.822.7380 (fax)
http://www.stetson.edu/~mdenner

________________________________

From: Slavic & East European Languages and Literature list on behalf of Dr. Frederick H. White
Sent: Sat 3/4/2006 5:06 PM
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU
Subject: [SEELANGS] Post-Soviet Text

Dear Colleagues,

I am creating a new undergraduate course that will be available to a wide
range of students, many of whom will have no background in Russian language,
literature, history, etc.  I would like to know if you could recommend a
text appropriate for undergraduates about Post-Soviet Russia, which might
cover topics like Glasnost/Perestroika, the Russian mafia, the Chechen wars,
etc.  Your recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Respectfully,

Frederick H. White