question regarding R, RCS, or OCS (?)

Deborah Hoffman lino59 at AMERITECH.NET
Mon Mar 6 17:52:39 UTC 2006

Jules,
Are you looking at the Rtsei Hashem section from
Shacharis and Mussaf? i.e. "v'chosheiv et ha'avodoh
lidvir beisecha" (please forgive the Ashkenazi
transliteration)?  Perhaps svjataja is an old form for
avodoh (service)?

Hopefully it is not a case of translating into Russian
from the English "Holy of Holies" rather than going
back to the origianl Hebrew. I'm not sure how lidvir
beisecha ever became Holy of Holies, though my siddur
has that too, as when the construction of said object
in discussed in Vayikra (Leviticus)it's referred to as
"kadosh kadoshim" (lit. Holy of Holies).

>Date:    Sun, 5 Mar 2006 18:39:25 -0800
>From:    Jules Levin <ameliede at EARTHLINK.NET>
>Subject: question regarding R, RCS, or OCS (?)

I occasionally worship in a synagogue that offers,
optionally,
>a Russian-Hebrew bilingual prayer book in addition to
the usual
>English-Hebrew or all Hebrew prayer books.
I have noticed that a Hebrew phrase translated into
English >as
Holy of Holies appears in the Russian as "svjataja
svjatyx".  > Trouble
is, it appears this way in a sentence that requires
the >Locative,
or possibly the Accusative:  "...vosstanovi v svjataja
>svjatyx... "
>The object of the Adj is masculine in Hebrew, but
what word would it be
>in Russian, if fem.?  [I realize this is really
another problem, but
>perhaps
it is a clue....]
>Can someone elucidate here?
>If your only explanation is less than total
competence in Russian,
>don't
>be shy; it is conceivable in this translation.
Jules Levin

Deborah Hoffman
Finance Chair, Graduate Student Senate
Modern and Classical Language Studies