archaic religious phrase (cont.)

Prof Steven P Hill s-hill4 at UIUC.EDU
Mon Mar 6 07:54:06 UTC 2006

Dear colleagues:

In case no one already mentioned it, let me  toss in also a parallel with the Latin "sancta
sanctorum" ("holy of holies"), which is also neuter plural. --Steven P Hill, Univ. of Illinois.
_ __ __ __ __ _ __ __ __ __ __

Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 02:41:28
From: <LISTSERV at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Re: GETPOST SEELANGS
To: Steven Hill <S-HILL4 at UIUC.EDU>
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2006 18:39:25 -0800
From: Jules Levin <ameliede at EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject: question regarding R, RCS, or OCS (?)

I occasionally worship in a synagogue that offers, optionally,
a Russian-Hebrew bilingual prayer book in addition to the usual
English-Hebrew or all Hebrew prayer books.
I have noticed that a Hebrew phrase translated into English as
Holy of Holies appears in the Russian as "svjataja svjatyx".   Trouble
[ .... ]