Thanks about cellphone and one last phone query

Amanda Ewington amewington at DAVIDSON.EDU
Mon Mar 6 18:40:44 UTC 2006

I want to thank the many of you who responded, both on and off list,  to my
cellphone question.  If you'd like  a compilation of  responses, do let me
know.  At this point, I think I will probably purchase a GSM phone with a
Russian SIM card through Telestial and then add minutes, when needed, when I
get to Russia.   Again, if anyone is interested in what I learned about GSM
phones, various experiences with Megafon and other carriers, "opening"
roaming, and interesting facts about "unlocked" phones, just send me a note
and I'm happy to share!

Also, one more phone query: The last time I was in Russia I used a service
called "zvonok" to stay in touch with my family in the States.  It was very
simple (just dial a special code before the regular phone #), had good
quality, and was ridiculously cheap.  Unfortunately, they've gone out of
business.  Anyone out there have a favorite phone card for calls to and from
Russia?

Thanks!

Amanda
Amanda Ewington, Ph.D.