v operu vs. na operu

Elizaveta Moussinova emoussin at INDIANA.EDU
Fri Mar 10 00:09:16 UTC 2006

Dear Laura,

I think the right way to say is "na operu", since it is an event, not a
place. When "opera" is a part of the name of a theater, f.ex. "Novaja
opera", it's possible to say "Ia jedu v Novuju operu." "Ia jedu na
Novuju operu" is wrong.

The expression "v operu" was used earlier, but it sounds pretentious
and outdated to me. Also, I've heard people using this nowadays, but I
think it's wrong.

Liz Moussinova
Indiana University