v operu vs. na operu

Marina Rojavin mrojavi1 at swarthmore.edu
Fri Mar 10 00:44:02 UTC 2006

I agree with this (Inna's) explanation. Just a few words in addition. I can't
say that I agree with N.Shvedova who said that 'v operu' is archaic. 'V
operu, v balet' imply 'v teatr"; 'na operu, na balet' imply 'to listen/see a
specific perfomance'. 'Ia xozhu na operu, na balet' means 'I attend the same
perfomance'(I'm using this as a word combination, not as a sentence), or in
case with 'na balet' -- 'zanimatsia baletom'. And: U menia
bilety na balet (Firebird)/v balet (Pennsylvania Ballet).

So, in Laura's case I would say 'Ia ezdila v operu' and 'Ia chasto xozhu v
operu.'

All the best,
Marina Rojavin.

Inna Caron <caron.4 at OSU.EDU> said:

> 'opera' often denotes the building itself, so "v operu" would
be used in the same sense as "v teatr," and "na operu" would correspond
to "na spektakl'."

> Examples:
> Doma, v Peterburge, ia periodicheski ezdila v operu, osobenno v Mariinku.
>
> Kogda my byli v Parizhe, nam tol'ko raz udalos' shodit' na operu.
>
> V Vene ia hodila na "Loengrina."
>

> first example, the man who uses the word "baba" is not very likely to
say "v operu" in the same
> sentence :-)) He'll use "na operu," because it is more consistent with his
generally colloquial speech.

> Inna Caron
> Ohio State

Dr. Marina Rojavin
Visiting Assistant Professor
Russian Section
Department of Modern Languages and Literatures
Swarthmore College
500 College Avenue
Swarthmore PA 19081
Kohlberg 340