more about opera: smotret' or slushat'?

Sara Stefani sara.stefani at YALE.EDU
Fri Mar 10 16:08:42 UTC 2006

Native English speakers would say "to see" an opera: "What did you do on
Saturday?" "We went to the opera." "Oh? What did you see?" "We saw 'La
Traviata.'" If an English speaker said, "What did you do yesterday?" "I
listened to 'The Magic Flute,'" the inference would be that you listened to a
recording of it, not that you went to see a live performance. I don't think
we'd ever use "to hear" unless you didn't actually attend the opera but just
overheard it: "They were playing 'Carmen' in the park yesterday." "I know, we
could hear it from our apartment."

On another note: are native Russian speakers really starting to
"neuterize" the
word kofe? How common is this? I assume it's a new development? Are there any
connotations regarding education/class/background/etc. if you use one over the
other? I.e., is one more conversational/colloquial/casual? Is the masculine
starting to sound archaic?

Best,
Sara Stefani