more about opera: smotret' or slushat'?

Fri Mar 10 16:49:06 UTC 2006

Inna Caron wrote:

> Here's another controversial item, also likely to be written off as an
> archaism.
>
> When I was a little girl, my parents always corrected me when I said "my
> smotreli operu," - "Operu ne smotryat, a slushayut." Now it would be as
> difficult for me to use "smotret'" (regardless of how pompous and
> pretentious it may sound to other native speakers), as to accept the
> legitimization of neuter for coffee, and not mentally wince when someone
> says "moe/chernoe kofe."
>
> So, I'm wondering - and this is not the matter of conducting a research
> - just plain curiosity:
>
> 1) Do other native Russian speakers use "smotret' operu," or "slushat'
> operu," when referring to live (not recorded) performance?
>
> 2) Do native speakers of English say "to see" or "to hear" in the same
> context?

I agree with Sara that I would "see" the performance (or a DVD or VHS
tape) but "hear/listen to" an audio recording. "I saw Carmen at the Met"
is perfectly natural, but "I heard Carmen at the Met" is somehow
peculiar (even though I personally would focus on the sound). If I
wanted to emphasize the sound, I might say "I heard Callas sing Carmen
at the Met," but I still would not be surprised (merely dismayed!) to
hear someone use "saw" here.

For that matter, I find it peculiar that anyone would cast (e.g.) a
chunky dowager as Carmen solely for sake of the voice, because it would
subvert the author's intent for the character. Opera is supposed to be
both visual and auditory.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com