more about opera: smotret' or slushat'?

A S aswear at GMAIL.COM
Fri Mar 10 16:50:34 UTC 2006

I am not a native speaker of Russian, so I don't know what the norm
is,  but 'watching/seeing' vs. 'hearing/listening' to an opera is a
distinction that can be made in many languages, including English.

  The visual production of opera is one of its most important
characteristics (just look at the number of live vs. studio
recordings on CD), after all it is a synthesis of theatre and song,
isn't it? If not, we would simply go and listen to people in formal
dress singing lined up on a blank stage. So it seems to me that your
youthful intuition of 'смотреть оперу' was cognitively
correct even if it is not accepted in normative Russian grammar.

In English, if I went to an opera house or watched one on TV, I would
definitely say "I've seen an opera" or "I saw Turandot" and not "I've
heard an opera" or "I listened to Turandot". I would only say the
latter if I had listened to a recording of it say on the radio or a
hi-fi without a visual component.