zvon'ish' vs zv'onish'

Julia Trubikhina trubikhina at AOL.COM
Fri Mar 10 18:21:39 UTC 2006

The norm is end-stressed.  In the last 10 years the state of the spoken
Russian language worsened proportionately to rather disastrous changes
in the Russian education system. One can hear all kinds of linguistic
"variants" not only in the colloquial speech, which anyway is always in
flux, but from anchors on TV and the radio.

---------------------
Julia Trubikhina

Assistant Professor of Russian
Russian Program Coordinator
Department of Modern Languages and Literatures
Montclair State University
Dickson Hall, Room 138
Montclair, NJ 07043

-----Original Message-----
From: Sara Stefani <sara.stefani at YALE.EDU>
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU
Sent:         Fri, 10 Mar 2006 13:03:29 -0500
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] zvon'ish' vs zv'onish'

  When I was first learning Russian, I learned the verb as (po)zvonít':
  (po)zvonyú, (po)zvonísh', etc., i.e., always end-stressed. Not long
after I
  arrived in Moscow, though, I noticed that a lot of Russians said
zvónish',
  zvónit, especially in the future perfect: pozvónish', pozvónit. I
asked a
  Russian friend about it, and she got very upset, saying that people do
say
  pozvónit but, she insisted most emphatically, that this was wrong, and
that I
  should always say (po)zvonísh'. So I do, but I wonder if that norm has
changed
  even more to tend towards pozvónish' in the ten years since I lived in
Moscow?

 ss

 Quoting "Paul B. Gallagher" <paulbg at PBG-TRANSLATIONS.COM>:

 > Alina Israeli wrote:
 >
  >> The gender of "kofe" together with the stress in "zvonit" was one
of the
  >> pet peeves of the purists (for over a hundred years). If not for
that the
  >> gender would have changed long ago. No one is bothered that
"pal'to" is
  >> neuter (and not masculine any more) or that "voron ni zharjat ni
varjat" is
 >> no longer end-stressed (outside this rhyme).
 >
  > At least to my nonnative ear, it scans better as "vorón ni zháryat
ni váryat."

  > But my question is about zvonit'. I was taught zvonít', zvonyú, >
zvónish'... What's the controversy? Do some people say zvonísh'?

 > -- > War doesn't determine who's right, just who's left.
 > --
 > Paul B. Gallagher
 > pbg translations, inc.
 > "Russian Translations That Read Like Originals"
 > http://pbg-translations.com

 > http://seelangs.home.comcast.net/

 options, and more. Visit and bookmark the SEELANGS Web Interface at: