zvon'ish' vs zv'onish'

Tatyana Buzina tbuzina at yandex.ru
Fri Mar 10 19:25:59 UTC 2006

I don't think the stem or end-stressed forms in zvonit' are perceived as dialectal variants. For instance, "okanie" and "iakanie" are clearly understood as dialectal features. I am from Moscow, and I can clearly distinguish southern and northern accents in Russian (by the way, southern accents are far more widespread; it's rare that you can hear genuine "okanie" these days in Moscow) but I think when Russians mention accents in their everyday speech they usually refer to particular quality of sounds and to particular intonation patterns, and far less frequently to stress patterns. Stem-stressed "zvonit'" is simply taken as a mark of a poorly educated person. Lots of Moscow born and bred people make this mistake, and it really incenses those who don't. It's very much like "lozhit'" instead of "klast'," "zalazhu" instead of "zalezaiu" etc. in being both pervasive and extremely irritating to those who don't say it.

>I wonder if there's a regional aspect to this issue. I'm a native speaker of Russian, but born in Ukraine, and I say it both ways. At the same time, to my ear the Moscow variety of Russian sounds distinctly accented. I also remember having a similar conversation with a Russian teacher in school about poniala (stressed o) and poniala (stressed last a), in which the teacher insisted that the latter was correct and dictionary-sanctioned, while the former (the more used version where I am from) is wrong.
>
>  Have you checked dictionaries? Just curious.
>
>  Nina Shevchuk-Murray
>
>Sara Stefani <sara.stefani at YALE.EDU> wrote:
>  When I was first learning Russian, I learned the verb as (po)zvonнt':
>(po)zvonyъ, (po)zvonнsh', etc., i.e., always end-stressed. Not long after I
>arrived in Moscow, though, I noticed that a lot of Russians said zvуnish',
>zvуnit, especially in the future perfect: pozvуnish', pozvуnit. I asked a
>Russian friend about it, and she got very upset, saying that people do say
>pozvуnit but, she insisted most emphatically, that this was wrong, and that I
>should always say (po)zvonнsh'. So I do, but I wonder if that norm has changed
>even more to tend towards pozvуnish' in the ten years since I lived in Moscow?
>
>ss
>
>Quoting "Paul B. Gallagher"
>:
>
>> Alina Israeli wrote:
>>
>>> The gender of "kofe" together with the stress in "zvonit" was one of the
>>> pet peeves of the purists (for over a hundred years). If not for that the
>>> gender would have changed long ago. No one is bothered that "pal'to" is
>>> neuter (and not masculine any more) or that "voron ni zharjat ni varjat" is
>>> no longer end-stressed (outside this rhyme).
>>
>> At least to my nonnative ear, it scans better as "vorуn ni zhбryat ni vбryat."
>>
>> But my question is about zvonit'. I was taught zvonнt', zvonyъ,
>> zvуnish'... What's the controversy? Do some people say zvonнsh'?
>>
>> --
>> War doesn't determine who's right, just who's left.
>> --
>> Paul B. Gallagher
>> pbg translations, inc.
>> "Russian Translations That Read Like Originals"
>> http://pbg-translations.com

>options, and more. Visit and bookmark the SEELANGS Web Interface at:
>http://seelangs.home.comcast.net/

Tatyana V. Buzina,
Associate Professor, Chair,
Dpt. of European Languages,